Cartel: An association of manufacturers or suppliers with the purpose of maintaining prices at a high level and restricting competition.
Liberals and conservatives are two factions of the same team (read capitalists); we just perceive them as markedly different because of the degree to which the spectrum of political possibilities has been narrowed. A complex system of normalized indoctrination exists in our lives which ensure radical (read communist and anarchist) solutions are weeded out, or marginalized in one way or another.
The end result is a set of normalized choices manifested in a political cartel, or an association of political parties with the purpose of maintaining concentrated political power and restricting or repressing competition. What is valued as acceptable within this cartel comprising the modern political sphere then is a tiny spectrum which reflects only the range of needs of private corporate power and nothing more.
Creating the Cartel
“The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.”
― Karl Marx
Think of politics as a market for power. In this market ideas are currency.
As CrimethInc elaborated, “[I]deas function as capital in much the same way money does. Individuals who can get others to “buy in” to their ideas obtain a disproportionate amount of control over their surroundings; large conglomerates can come to rule large parts of the world this way, just as corporations do — indeed, there can be no entrenched political or financial power without ideological capital to back it up.”
What would happen then if the market was rigged by its very nature and some individuals could bolster their idea(s) to gain control of all others?
Revisiting CrimethInc, they explain “Little “start-up companies” of competing ideas can enter the market to contest such [idea] monopolies, and sometimes one unseats the reigning creed to become the new dominant paradigm; but as in any capitalist system, power tends to flow upward to the top of a hierarchy, from which the masters, the ones qualified to employ it, decide matters for everyone else.”
Liberals and conservatives wholeheartedly participate in the concentration of power when they take a set of political positions which express the basic ideas of capitalism and then present a range of indoctrination within that framework — so any “solution” only enhances the strength of capitalist institutionalization, ingraining it in our minds as the entire possible spectrum of choice that there is.
This is the purpose of electoral politics, to present from our capitalist masters individuals whose ideas keep the flow of power moving upward; to normalize indoctrination; to, in effect, control the market by maintaining the perceived pedigree of capitalist ideas and restricting competition through the marginalization and repression of ideas new or contradictory.
Extensive history of this tendency may be demonstrated through the violent anti-radical consensus of liberals and conservatives following the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution. Howard Zinn in A People’s History of the United States noted:
“In early September 1917, Department of Justice agents made simultaneous raids on forty-eight IWW [International Workers of the World] meetings across the country, seizing correspondence and literature that would become courtroom evidence. Later that month, 165 IWW leaders were arrested for conspiracy to hinder the draft, encourage desertion, and intimidate others in connection with labor disputes. One hundred and one went on trial [en masse] in April 1918; it lasted five months, the longest criminal trial in American history up to that time… [T]he jury found them all guilty. The judge sentenced [IWW president William “Big Bill”] Haywood and fourteen others to twenty years in prison; thirty-three were given then years, the rest shorter sentences. They were fined a total of $2,500,000. The IWW was shattered.”
Perhaps most telling though is the later liberal/conservative agreement, spurred forward by the Cold War policy of containment, on a mono-doctrine of imperialist foreign policy best described herein by a popularized euphemism of the time — “Partisanship ends at the water’s edge.”
"The United States was trying, in the postwar decade [of World War II], to create a national consensus — excluding the radicals, who could not support a foreign policy aimed at suppressing revolution — of conservatives and liberals, Republicans and Democrats, around the policies of the cold war and anti-Communism. Such a coalition could best be created by a liberal Democratic President, whose aggressive policy abroad would be supported by conservatives… [I]f the anti-Communist mood became strong enough, liberals could support repressive moves at home which in ordinary times would be seen as violating the tradition of liberal tolerance. (Zinn)"
Imperialist consensus not only generated cohesion on foreign policy, but, as alluded, it furthered a coordinated relationship of narrowed power between liberals and conservatives (Democrats and Republicans), providing the groundwork to enact within our own boarders gross political repression of all radical elements in American society. Repression of previous magnitude would continue against not only the IWW, but against the Socialist Workers Party, the AFL-CIO, the Teamsters, the Black Panther Party and American Indian Movement of the ’60s and ’70s, and most recently against Occupy Wallstreet.
“Government is the shadow cast by business over society.”
— John Dewey
Our political system is the wholesale of government to private corporate interest. Capitalism’s existence is predicated on expansion, and as such, when the natural boundaries of freedom and democracy infringe upon this imperative, it must co-opt government to facilitate its survival. The repression of radicals by liberals and conservatives, both abroad and domestically, has always served these capitalist ends, and will continue to do so.
This comes at a great disservice to the American underclasses, for no viable alternatives have entered the public lexicon for nearly a century. By keeping ideas narrowly framed within a capitalist paradigm, the monopoly of power rests completely within a tiny spectrum of political and economic possibilities, all of which enable and perpetuate a statist, classist society.
To paraphrase Noam Chomsky, if you want to change government you have to attack the substance of it, not the shadow. Attacking the shadow, government alone, does nothing because in a political cartel it does not matter who we elect — liberal or conservative — so long as the cement between private corporate power and government remains un-fractured. Until this basic obstacle is confronted, none of us will exist outside an illusion of choice.
Reblogging for the inquiries I’ve gotten about my position on liberalism. Might also scroll my liberals tag as well.
And people still ask me why they should care about politics.
I’m glad Your last boyfriend had such a short vocabulary, because I’ve been studying how to describe beauty for my whole life, been training myself to serve and love. I’ve been constructing myself to show You the true value that You hold, that I think stars are made from Your smile, that the sun rises just so we can be together.
I’m glad Your boyfriend didn’t have the courage that I do, that I’d fight the years to be with You, knowing that it will end with me growing old by Your side.
I’m glad Your boyfriend didn’t see You through the same lens I do, for you are 20/20 and it’s getting stronger everyday.
But I’m sad, because You had to have a boyfriend who didn’t love You like You should be loved. Because to me, You’re not just a pretty little flower, You’re the whole world in spring, and I’m in love with this season.
Q:"killed for being black" there's more black on white murders than vice versa per capita. Heck, there's more black on black murder than white on black murder in both absolute and per capita terms. Stop bitching and get your own fucking house in order.
I would ask to a link to your stats but I literally don’t care, you don’t have any, and that’s beside the point. Are any of those white people being killed for being white? Again, are any of those white people being killed for being white? Literally no… like what dimension of earth are you in if you just typed back what i said verbatim and still didn’t understand it?
These are things that don’t just happen to black people, but specifically happen to them because they are Black, because of systemic racism… Now, you make a similar list of murders and violence and humiliation happening to white people because of their racial position in this country, because of racism, that are reflective of any racial subordination they have in this country— i will wait…
- A black fashion student says he was brutally attacked by a gang of Hasidic men who shouted anti-gay slurs at him while he was walking through Williamsburg after a night of partying, the Daily News has learned.
- Eric Garner is choked and killed by the police in public on camera because of racial profiling
- Black man blew a 0.00 on breathalyzer test and is arrested for DUI
- If I see three or four young black men walking down the street, I have to stop them and check their names. I want them to be afraid every time they see the police that they might get arrested.Chief Russell Mills to the LA Times after shooting and killing black 89-year-old great grandfather Shawn Monroe at a barbecue unprovoked. Today, he walks free with no charges, despite numerous witnesses and his own admission that he enjoys terrorizing black people.
- ACU students say hate crime highlights racism on campus By Jennifer Kendall
- Man Arrested After Drinking Iced Tea In Public Must Take Deal Or Go To Trial
- Javier Payne, a 14-year-old black boy from the Bronx who was attacked by the NYPD last weekend as he was walking home from a hookah shop in his neighborhood.
- Man dies defending daughter during alleged hate crime
- West Virginia man kills new black neighbors without warning
- White people literally can not associate positive words with Black faces because of racism
- More white people use drugs but Black people are sent to jail for drugs at 10 times the rate that white people are
- Black people who “sound Black” earn less money than those who don’t because of associations with stereotypes. Black people who “sound Black” are less likely to get called back for jobs
- Black children grow up literally associating being Black with being bad and ugly
- White people when tested shot more unarmed Black subjects than armed and unarmed white subjects
- Hate crimes increase after Boston tragedy
- Moroccan High School Student is linked to Boston tragedy for being Brown
- NYPD Commissioner wants Black and Latino men to fear him after the police targeted literally 90 percent Black and Latino men in New York and humiliating them by frisking them in public under the assumption that they had weapons. Studies found that white men were the ones who overwhelmingly had weapons while Black and Latino men didn’t
- White people blaming and convicting Black men for crimes they never committed and everyone believing them because of racism
- Stop and Frisk, ruled unconstitutional was practiced by New York police disproportionately and unfairly affecting 90% Black and Latino men because of racism
- Here are some of the numbers on hate crimes against People of Color and btw, Neo Naziism is increasing!
- Every 28 Hours an African American is Extrajudicially Murdered in the U.S.
- Black people 3 times more likely to be arrested for Marijuana
- Black people receive much harsher sentencing than white people for the same crimes do I need to go on?
- Deaf Black man is stabbed out of internalized racism when his sign language is mistaken for a GANG SIGN
- Oops! Chicago police raids the wrong house, holds an 11 month old at gunpoint to raise their hand, kills their dog all because of racism and assuming it was a crackhouse! Oopsies
- Let’s take it overseas! Black people in England and Wales are 7 times more likely to be stopped by police than white people. Asian people are twice as likely
- White kids think it’s totally okay and normal to photograph themselves lynching a Black baby doll like an effigy
- Here’s a graph of the statistic that approx every 28 hours an African American is extrajudicially executed in the US
- NYPD profiling and targeting LGBT*Q People of Color
- Black students (especially boys and children with disabilities) face more and harsher punishments in public schools and are being pushed out of schools into the criminal justice system.
- Black male incarceration has jumped 500% from 1986 to 2004
- Albany police: SWAT literally uses a poor Black neighborhood to train in because they say it’s ‘realistic’
- The audio recording from a young man of color of a NYPD stop and frisking him based solely how he looks calling him a “FUCKING MUTT”
- Incarceration rates by ethnicity
- African-American man says NYPD made him rap before freeing him
- Black Detroit woman shot to death while seeking help in white neighborhood after car crash
- Woman Says She Called 911 for an Ambulance for Her Fiancé, Cops Came and Shot Him Instead
- A Black man holding a wallet is more likely to be shot by the police than a White man holding a gun.
- Students of color At University of Texas Attacked By An Epidemic Of ‘Bleach Bombs’
- Racism Linked to Adult-Onset Asthma in Black Women
- Black firefighter waves to white police man and is handcuffed and on the ground
- Disparities in the workforce exist as Black women and Latino men work more than white women and white men but the racial wage gap still exists
- Oakland: Study finds racial bias in boys’ arrests targeting guess who? Black young men, of course!
- How is it that 58% of prisoners are Black and Latino if 70% of crime committed here is done by white people?
- Forty Percent of White Americans Are Lying About Their ‘Black Friend’
- When whites were presented with an argument against the death penalty or three strikes that emphasized the racial bias of the policy, they became more (not less) supportive of capital punishment and three strikes laws.
- African-Americans More Likely To Receive Lower-Quality Kidneys, Study Finds
- Famous actor Brandon T. Jackson is called racial slurs on his flight and told “I don’t care if you’re Obama’s son” then questioned by the police and restricted from flying and left alone to look for a hotel himself for being the victim of racism on US Airways
- Rob Brown, famous star of Treme is racially profiled and arrested at Macy’s for purchasing a watch with his own money and his own credit card and accused of fraud
- Kayla Philips tries to purchase a bag at Barney’s and is also accused of fraud at Barney’s because they didn’t believe she could afford it
The absurdity runs deep: America is using American military equipment to bomb other pieces of American military equipment halfway around the world. The reason the American military equipment got there in the first place was because, in 2003, the US had to use its military to rebuild the Iraqi army, which it just finished destroying with the American military. The American weapons the US gave the Iraqi army totally failed at making Iraq secure and have become tools of terror used by an offshoot of al-Qaeda to terrorize the Iraqis that the US supposedly liberated a decade ago. And so now the US has to use American weaponry to destroy the American weaponry it gave Iraqis to make Iraqis safer, in order to make Iraqis safer.
All the while, no amount of US intervention “makes Iraqis safer.” What’s the saying, bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity? The US government is insidious. Even if the US finally pulled out of Iraq and the greater Middle East, the damage of seven decades of meddling and supplying political repression will take decades, upon decades still, to rectify. This latest iteration of American imperialism will do nothing to lessen the impact of past transgressions; it will only dig deeper the hole already blasted.(via america-wakiewakie)
My notebook has remained blank for months
thanks to the light you shower
around me. I have no use
for my pen, which lies
languorously without grief.
Nothing is better than to live
a storyless life that needs
no writing for meaning—
when I am gone, let others say
they lost a happy man,
though no one can tell how happy I was.